LAWRENCE J. (LARRY) GRINNELL
Dynamic, results- and detail-oriented technical communicator with strong leadership skills and extensive experience in technical communications, publications and print technology, implementation, and deployment of technology solutions. Experience defining project specifications, establishing project goals and deliverables. Self-motivated and an innovative thinker, consistently pursuing new challenges to stretch abilities, and expand knowledge. Excellent communication, people, organizational, and problem solving skills. Reputation for tenacity in problem solving.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- 20+ years in Technical Communications
- Documentation and record-keeping
- Author technical procedures, user manuals
- Graphic design and desktop publishing tools
- Extensive experience documenting wireless technology products.
- Database-driven web solutions
- Macintosh, Windows, and mixed platform environments.
TECHNICAL PROFICIENCY HIGHLIGHTS
|Microsoft Windows Server 2003/2000, Microsoft Windows XP/2000/Me/98/95/3.1, Mac OSX/9.x|
|Compaq, Dell, HP, Apple|
|Application Software:||Microsoft Office Suite, Front Page, Norton AntiVirus, Fontographer, Asia FontStudio, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, PageMaker, Acrobat Professional, FrameMaker, VMware Fusion, Enfocus PitStop Professional, FileMaker Pro, FileMaker Pro Advanced Server, UltraEdit 32, XMetaL, Arbortext Editor|
SR Technologies, Inc., Davie, FL
Technical Writer (2009-present )
Design, edit, write, illustrate, lay out user documentation for SR Technologies product lines. Load completed PDF documents into MRP system for approval workflow. Store completed source materials into data vault. Institute documentation processes, legal and safety content. Build alternate content for software help systems.
MOTOROLA INC., South Florida — 1982-2009
Integrated Technical Communications, Boynton Beach, Sunrise, and Plantation, FL
Staff Systems Administrator (1997-2009)
Configured and maintained department web and file servers. Developed and posted internal operating procedures related to systems administration and specialized graphics and publishing processes. Interacted with print suppliers on a daily basis, repairing and correcting defective press-ready PDF files. Traveled extensively in the U.S. and Mexico to evaluate and certify print supplier capabilities and quality.
- Designed, implemented, and maintained database-driven searchable self-service intranet website with the following applications:
- Motorola intranet users can locate and download PDF files of mobile devices product manuals.
- Engineers and product managers can request custom product graphics services, and search for and download artwork files in multiple formats.
- Permits users to search for and download custom fonts.
- Enables staff to request graphic design and custom font production services.
- Facilitates easy access to internal operating procedures and process documents.
- Migrated and re-coded department website from FileMaker Pro 5.5 and CDML and HTML language to FileMaker Pro Advanced Server 9 with PHP and HTML language.
- Converted first prototype user guide authored in DITA XML to HTML format using DITA Open Toolkit.
- Developed and implemented processes for converting Adobe FrameMaker files to HTML using Mif2Go software.
- Trained writing and graphics staff on color publishing techniques. Identified problem areas for additional staff training.
- Configured and deployed highly effective department-level workstation and server backup system.
- Implemented Windows 2003 Server with IIS when IT requirements necessitated migration from Windows 2000 Server.
- Closely collaborated with co-worker to research, interact with vendors, evaluate, and perform proof of concept tests to acquire a content management system for the department.
- Designed and conducted staff training and seminars on new technology.
- Converted press-ready PDF files to smaller web-friendly files, adding search engine optimized metadata before posting to department web server. Converted poster-style quick start guides to desktop printer-friendly format.
- Evaluated commercial printers’ digital printing capabilities at sites in Florida, Texas, and Scotland.
- Developed and documented hurricane-focused disaster preparedness and recovery document.
Senior Technical Writer (1987-1997)
Designed, wrote, illustrated, and published service, user, and product programming manuals. Engineered processes to replace photographs with electronic illustrations in user and service publications.
- Researched, planned, and implemented program to produce all-electronic manuals, centered around Adobe Acrobat PDF technology.
- Identified, provided training, and deployed tools to convert CADD illustrations into files usable by standard desktop illustration software.
- Redesigned and optimized short run document sets for printing on digital presses.
- Developed and implemented process to use custom fonts for insertion of inline graphics in user documentation.
- Provided regular training sessions in person and with regular emailings on new publishing and print technologies to staffers.
- Built and deployed department’s first web server in late 1994.
- Consulted with and traveled to Motorola R&D facility in Singapore to establish a technical publications organization there. Trained writer/illustrator to manage department.
- Trained individual from Motorola facility in Beijing to manage a technical publications department.
Manufacturing Engineering, Paging Products Group, Boynton Beach, FL
Product Support Technician (1982-1987)
Provided engineering support for several paging product lines. Resolved engineering issues, parts shortages/substitutions. Liaised with Underwriters’ Laboratories Follow-Up Services inspector—resolved discrepancies discovered by inspector. Responded to factory quality audit discrepancies, determined and implemented corrective actions. Lead factory technicians in resolving recurring product technical problems. Submitted engineering change proposals and updated/corrected material specifications as needed.
- Co-designed battery charger and wrote product manual for Minitor II alert monitor.
- Wrote test station calibration program in BASIC to simplify the process of determining calibration factors for factory product performance testing.
- Performed competitive analysis on several products. Co-wrote and illustrated report with lead engineer.
EDUCATION / CERTIFICATIONS
Associates in Arts (AA)
Palm Beach Community College, Lake Worth, FL
United States Air Force, Staff Sergeant (E-5), Honorable Discharge (1973-1982)